Remotes

By Nat Robinson on April 29, 2009
Remotes are an important part of a well delivered presentation.

Remotes are an important part of a well delivered presentation.

A lot of presenters like to use remotes or clickers to advance their slides (and slide builds) as they present. It gives them the opportunity to unchain from the laptop, maybe walk around a bit to get their communicative juices flowing, and more importantly focus on engaging the audience with the story they’re telling.

Remotes come in different form factors and use technologies like Bluetooth, Wifi, IR (requires line of site) or RF to capture and transmit a keyboard command to your presentation software telling it what to do next. They generally all allow you to start, advance, rewind, blank the screen or end your presentation, and some have integrated laser pointers or timers that will let you pace your presentation appropriately.

A relatively new category of remotes will let you use your mobile phone to control your presentation. Apple has a Wifi iPhone client for Keynote and Salling Software has one for Mac OS and Windows that works with a good number of popular phones.

Remotes are made by such reputable brands as Logitech, Targus, Keyspan, Toshiba, Griffin and Kensington, offering a selection of models and prices to suit your needs. You can find many of them on Amazon.com. If you’re looking for a recommendation, we agree with Garr Reynolds, smaller and simpler is better, you want a remote to be virtually invisible and enhance your presentation delivery, not detract from it.

When using remotes with SlideRocket we’ve found the best results are achieved with the Offline Player (the SlideRocket AIR client that lets you synchronize presentations to your desktop) but we’ve also had good results using the online client in different browsers including FireFox, Chrome, Safari and IE.

If you use a remote with SlideRocket and would like to share your results please comment below or post a note in our Support Forums or see our Remote Help for known issues . Happy clicking!

1. Marco

May 23, 2012 @ 12:48 am

Finding a regular remote to play SlideRocket is a big problem. I’d love to hear from the SlideRocket team. Surely they have encountered the same problem? Or do they present with mouse in hand?

2. John Rode

May 24, 2012 @ 2:35 pm

Marco,

Most remotes will work with SlideRocket. When you’re ready to present, put the presentation in “Preview mode” from the editor, then select full screen mode in the browser (e.g., for FireFox go to View and then Full Screen).

Hope this helps.

- John

3. Thomas

September 19, 2012 @ 11:19 am

I think I found out why my Logitech remote refuses to work in a brwoser in full-screenmode and created a workaround that made it work (on Windows machine but probably works on other OS too).

4. John Rode

September 19, 2012 @ 3:25 pm

Thomas,

Very creative. Yes, without your workaround you currently have to be in Preview mode to use the remote.

- John

5. Thomas

September 20, 2012 @ 1:51 am

John,

well, on my computers I have to be in Preview mode and must not switch the browser to full-screen mode. When I switch the browser to full-screen even in Preview mode, my remote stops working.

But I think there’s nothing Sliderocket can do. It’s a limitation of the Flash platform in cooperation with the lack of configurability of remotes.

6. John Rode

September 24, 2012 @ 9:41 am

Thomas,

Yes, we are aware of that flash limitation. Our product folks are aware of of course aware of this limitation and have plans to address it.

- John

7. Tetsuya

July 18, 2015 @ 8:36 pm

Dear Preps,When I was in Prep we had a black board in the classroom not a smart board. I rembmeer my teacher writing on the black board with chalk and we would have monitors to clean the black board dusters. I went right through primary school not ever using a computer but we did have computers in my last year of high school. We didn’t use a blog though. Blogs and the internet were not invented in those days. We did however use really big floppy discs to store our information. Keep blogging Preps. I really love to read you comments!

8. Sarkari Naukri

December 2, 2015 @ 2:59 am

I had been browsing around yahoo and google and that i identified your webpage. Effectively actually expressing I love your site along with your internet site design. I look a lot of internet sites and they will not look so user friendly and coloration you might be utilizing it suites your web site. Keep doing it.

9. Agustin Hardaker

November 3, 2016 @ 10:11 am

11/3/2016 @ 13:10:59: Thanks for the post sliderocket.com!

10. Boyd Krone

November 11, 2016 @ 8:14 am

Like the website– very easy to navigate and lots to explore!

11. Jake Schweigart

November 15, 2016 @ 8:28 pm

sliderocket.com is good, solid content. I just forwarded this on 11/15/2016 to a classmate who’s been doing a little research of her own on this topic. To show their appreciation, they just bought me a drink! So, let me express my gratitude by saying: Thank you for the meal!