How to Record a Webinar – 7 Reasons Online Presentations Rock

By John Rode on March 20, 2012

We often make recording a webinar more complex than it needs to be, particularly when recording on-demand webinars. Sure, you can use webinar platforms like GoToWebinar or Webex, but you may find they’re overkill and introduce unwanted complexity. Screencast tools like Camtasia are a better option for recording an on-demand webinar if you’re doing a demo or jumping between applications or windows. But for straight slides, which the majority of webinars are, online presentations are the way to go.

8 Reasons to Record a Webinar With Online Presentations

#1 Be true to your voice

Recording voice-over on your slides takes just a couple clicks. And you record slide by slide so “do-overs” are totally acceptable. Viewers click and the webinar plays flawlessly.

#2 Please don’t supersize me

Webinar platforms and screencast tools often leave you with gi-normous files that are a bear to post to websites, send via email, and share on social media. Online presentations free you of this terrible burden by allowing you to share links rather than files.

#3 Tiiiime is on my siiiiide, yes it is
Rather than waiting for your webinar platform to send you the webinar recording or your tech whiz to convert the video file type, you could be out encouraging your enthused attendees to share the recorded webinar, right when they’re in the moment.

#4 Embed yourself

With a simple copy and paste you can embed online presentations on your blog or website. And viewers can then re-embed it on their blog. Isn’t curating content the sincerest form of flattery? Try that with a 1GB webinar recording that’s in a proprietary file type.

#5 Let’s be clear
Recorded webinars play in full HD so they look super sharp for your audience and the sound is outstanding.

#6 Go ahead, change your mind

Rarely does a campaign takeoff on the first try. Try, try again and you’ll boost your odds of success. Changes to your recorded webinar are easy to make and go live instantly, no matter where your presentations have been shared to.

#7 Screencasts when you want them

Want to drop a product demo or similar item into your recorded webinar? You can simply embed an existing demo to a slide as a video and record your voice-over. It’s a great experience.

#8 All systems go

There’s nothing wrong with recording your webinar ahead of time and then replaying it “live” (or “faux live” as we joke). Your intro and Q&A can be live, but the rest takes care of itself. It’s a webinar without the stress. And while your recorded webinar plays for your audience you can answer the chat questions in real-time to keep your audience engaged.

1. Jeff Waters

March 21, 2012 @ 4:47 am

I’m a huge SlideRocket fan. Agree with almost everything you’ve said here, but a couple of questions:

1) If I want to drop in a video (software demo) on a slide, we usually record the audio directly into the video rather than do a voice over in SlideRocket itself. The thinking being that the audio and video could get out of sync otherwise depending on the speed of the viewer’s internet access. Do you have a better solution in mind for #7?

2) I often use SlideRocket for live presentations with a small group of attendees. I think the limit is something like 20 attendees? If it could handle around 200 attendees, I’d drop Webex altogether. Any plans for that?

2. John Rode

March 21, 2012 @ 11:23 am

Hi Jeff,

You’re approach is the safer one for #7. I usually go with the slide voice-over and it’s always worked, but I checked with our tech folks and they like your approach better.

On web meetings I will ask the roadmap folks and see where we are for increasing the number of attendees.

Thanks for your feedback Jeff.

- John

3. Lazza

March 23, 2012 @ 2:48 am

I like Sliderocket very much, but to be sharp… for #4 remember that SWF is a proprietary format too. :P But I agree with the rest of the post. :)

4. John Rode

March 27, 2012 @ 4:08 pm

Hi Lazza,

I was highlighting that you don’t have to handle (i.e., save, convert, etc.) files with a proprietary format. #4 focuses on embedding a presentation on a blog or website and only involves copying and pasting a small embed code. You don’t have to do anything else.

- John

5. Pingback by Presentation Tips and Resources | SlideRocket Online Presentation Software

April 6, 2012 @ 8:01 am

[...] How to Record a Webinar – 7 Reasons Online Presentations Rock [...]

6. Barbara Fowler

April 10, 2012 @ 10:58 am

I love slide rocket too and really appreciate these tips. I am putting one together and will try them.

7. John Rode

April 10, 2012 @ 12:04 pm

Great to hear Barbara. A recorded webinar really makes for an effective sales and marketing asset.

- John

8. Chris

April 15, 2012 @ 2:52 pm

Hi John,

Thanks for this post. To be honest I think that the price point is too high. As a webmarketer I have masses of expenses from SEO services, to developer plugins, rich images, articles, etc. Another monthly subscription which goes on forever just for presentation software doesn’t make it into the budget. If it was a one off fee of $99, I’d fully consider it however. I wonder how much quicker slide rocket would spread if you changed that pricing.

Chris

9. John Rode

April 16, 2012 @ 5:29 pm

Hi Chris,

That’s valuable feedback, thank you. I will share it with the product team.

- John

10. Rodney C. Davis

June 30, 2012 @ 9:06 am

I have to agree with Chris. I desperately want to sign up, but the price tag is prohibitive. The team should consider the fact that the company will get a lot more out of loyal customers long term, with a proper value/price balance.

11. John Rode

July 2, 2012 @ 4:12 pm

Hi Rodney,

We’ve introduced a few more features to the SlideRocket Lite edition including the ability to keep all your presentations private, auto-save and the ability to go back in time to retrieve previous versions of your presentation with “Revision History”. You can expect we’ll continue to introduce more features for the free version which will be great for everyone.

- John

12. Pingback by A New Webinar Template With Presentation Tips Baked In | SlideRocket Online Presentation Software

August 14, 2012 @ 1:19 pm

[...] helpful post you may want to check out is How to Record a Webinar using online presentations. This article shows you the simple steps for turning webinars into [...]

13. Traci Morrow

August 26, 2012 @ 9:52 am

If I want to embed my recording on my website, can I do so, or would I need to link to the sliderocket site where the recording would be housed?

Is there a limited number of views per recording and does the recording have an expiration?

I’ve been using Instant Presenter for years and am looking to update my presentation experience for my viewers.

Thanks,
    TRACI M.

14. John Rode

August 27, 2012 @ 9:30 am

Hi Traci,

Embedding a presentation on your website is very easy – Go to “Share”, “Get Embed Code” and then copy and paste that bit of code into the HTML editor of your website. And whenever you update your presentation the change will automatically be reflected on your website.

There is no limit on the number of views your presentation can receive (we’ve seen presentations with over 300,000 views!). And the presentation will stay up there for as long as you like with no expiration.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

- John

15. Pingback by 3-2-1 Action! How to Record a Demo For Presentations

September 13, 2012 @ 10:39 am

[...] You can add the voiceover later directly onto your slides, just like when you pre-record a webinar. Or, you can deliver the voiceover portion live, which enables you to tailor the message to your [...]

16. John Click

September 30, 2013 @ 2:02 am

Yes, Webinars rock. And I agree about using Camtasia over something like GoToWebinar, but I’ve found that RHUB’s setup is even simpler, and it offers better security, too.

17. William

October 14, 2013 @ 8:21 pm

Someone said he uses Camtasia over something like GoToWebinar. I want to say it’s too expensive. :)
    I have no idea what the best way to record a webinar is.
    I found an article:
    But, I think it must have a better resolution.
    Tell me your ideas.